Illness, Injuries, Emergency Advice and Dental Care

We know that finding the right place to go when you or someone in your family becomes ill or injured can be confusing. This is why we have gathered some useful information on local services.

Your choices at a glance

Information taken from www.eastridingofyorkshireccg.nhs.uk

For information about which choice is right for you the NHS Choose Well guidance can help you decide on where to go for advice.
If you are concerned about your infant or child’s health and cannot wait to speak to your health visitor or GP, ring NHS 111 for advice and support. Please be aware NHS 111 will ask you a number of questions to decide what advice to give you. This can include self-care advice, directing you to your nearest pharmacy, advising you to go and see your GP or booking into either an 8 to 8 Centre or an Urgent Treatment Centre if clinically appropriate.

You should only attend an Accident and Emergency Department with the most serious, life or limb threatening emergencies. If you think you need an emergency ambulance dial 999 or attend your local A&E immediately.

Your local pharmacist can give you clinical advice and treatment for common illnesses such as coughs, colds, aches and pains. They can help you with accessing appropriate medications, for more information about the Minor Aliments Scheme click here. Your local pharmacist can also help you decide whether you need to contact other healthcare services such as contraception and sexual health. Some pharmacies are also available over the holidays including the bank holidays.

Did you know your Red Book contains lots of information about common health problems?

Does your child have a serious illness?

It can be difficult to tell when a baby or toddler is seriously ill, but the main thing is to trust your instincts. You know better than anyone else what your child is usually like, so you’ll know when something is seriously wrong.

NHS Choices has advice on:

How to tell if your child has a serious illness.
How to take your child’s temperature.
What to do if your child has a high temperature
Looking after a sick child
Signs of dehydration
Managing diarrhoea and vomiting
Rashes in babies and Children
Medicines for babies and children
Infectious Illnesses
Is my child too ill for school?
Rashes in babies and children

Signs of sepsis

Information taken from www.nhs.uk


Sepsis is life-threatening. It can be hard to spot.

If you think you, or someone you look after has symptoms of Sepsis, call 999 or go to A&E. Trust your instincts.

Call 999 or go to A&E if a baby or young child has any of these symptoms of sepsis:

  • blue, pale or blochy skin, lips or tongue
  • a rash that does not fade when you roll a glass over it, the same as meningitis
  • difficulty breathing (you may notice grunting noices or their stomach sucking under their ribcage), breathlessness or breathing very fast.
  • a weak, high-pitched cry, not like their normal cry
  • not responding like they normally do, or not interested in feeding or normal activities
  • being sleepier than normal or difficult to wake

They may not have all of these symptoms.

Call 999 or go to A&E if an adult or older child has any of these symptoms of sepsis:

  • acting confused, slurred speach or not making sense
  • blue, pale, or blochy skin, lips or tongue
  • a rash that does not fade when you roll a class over it, the same as meningitis
  • difficulty breathing, breathlessness or breathing very fast

They may not have all of these symptoms.

How to help a choking child

Children, particularly those aged from 1 to 5, often put objects in their mouth. This is a normal part of how they explore the world.

Some small objects, such as marbles, beads and button batteries, are just the right size to get stuck in a child’s airway and cause choking.

The best way to avoid this is to make sure that small objects like these are kept out of your child’s reach.

More information

Are you looking for Dental Health Support?

For further information on where to find a NHS Dental Practice in the East Riding of Yorkshire, please contact PALS on 01482 672047 or online via NHS Choices.

For a dentist in Hull, please contact PALS on 01482 335409 or text TOOTH to 61825 for CHCP Dental Services in Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire.

For urgent cases please call NHS 111.